Ricardo Energy & Environment
September / October 2020 start date
Ricardo Energy & Environment is a leading sustainability consultancy combining energy, climate change, environmental and chemical risk expertise with strong IT and economics capability. Operating across the world, we work in partnership with our customers to help transform the way they work, empowering business leaders with award winning consultancy advice. With unrivalled sector insight and a reputation for producing innovative solutions, we offer a stimulating and rewarding environment in which to work.
The NCEC has built up a reputation as one of the world’s leading chemical emergency response centres. This is based on the proficiency, technical expertise and efficiency of our Emergency Response team. Our aim is to further enhance our reputation both within the UK and increasingly overseas, providing our customers with an unrivalled quality of service that meets all of their chemical emergency response needs.
The role of NCEC Emergency Responder is one of our full-time positions providing crucial 24/7 telephone-based Emergency Response information to callers dealing with chemical emergency incidents. Callers to the service may be emergency services, chemical and transport companies, members of the public and others, both in the UK and abroad.
Aside from the provision of emergency advice to callers, the post-holder will contribute to NCEC’s other services including software and consultancy projects. Emergency responders contribute to NCEC’s emergency response database Chemdata, by inputting safety critical information on chemical hazards. The role also has potential for exposure to various other technical consultancy work and all aspects of project management, depending on the capability and successful candidate’s capabilities and interests.
The ideal candidate will have a scientific, technical or engineering background coupled with excellent communication and customer service skills. This opportunity will be interesting and challenging at times suiting individuals with motivation and enthusiasm to drive and champion emergency response as well providing consultancy capabilities with project work.
You will be responsible for working as part of a team in providing a 24/7 professional telephone response giving critical advice as part of our emergency response service offering and providing written correspondence to the customer. In addition, you will be contributing to the development of NCEC products, which could involve software development, product management or consultancy work depending on your capabilities.
Key competencies and experience:
* ‘A’ level Chemistry or equivalent qualification
* Degree or equivalent in Chemistry or related field (Technical/Engineering)
* Knowledge of chemistry, hazardous materials and/or response to incidents involving hazardous goods. Interpretation of Safety Data Sheets (SDS)
* The ability to function effectively while under pressure and dealing with emergency calls
* Willing and able to provide the necessary 24-hour cover in working in a rotating shift pattern
* Knowledge or experience of legislation relating to chemical safety or chemical classification (e.g.: REACH, CLP, CHIP)
* Dangerous Goods Safety Advisor (DGSA) qualification would be advantageous
* Modern languages skills would be advantagous
* Experience of working in a customer facing or account management role
* Skills and behaviours:
* Excellent verbal and written communication skills
* Able to use own initiative, whilst working as part of a team
* A strong logical approach but the ability also to think laterally
This is a fast-paced and challenging environment offering you the opportunity to make your mark. You will have support from the wider business for your career to develop into a wide range of future opportunities within Ricardo Energy & Environment.
In return for your commitment, drive and enthusiasm, we offer an attractive benefits package, a personal development plan, and the opportunity to make a difference in a challenging and rewarding field. Ricardo Energy & Environment is an equal opportunities employer