Your new role
Our commercial teams are growing in line with our capital spend which is expected to double in the next five years. We are now seeking two Commercial Managers to join our Commercial Delivery group.
Reporting to the Regional Commercial Team Leader you will play a key role in partnering with projects teams to deliver a quality approach to a variety of commercial & procurement activities within a Major Projects capital programme. Using your commercial expertise, you will work closely with project teams and suppliers acting as a source of authoritative advice on contract administration, cost capture and analysis to improve performance across a number of high value infrastructure schemes changing the face of the strategic road network. One role will be aligned to the Regional Investment Programme (RIP) and the other will be aligned to the Smart Motorways Programme (SMP).
Both roles are great opportunities to join Highways England, as well as being a major client investing billions across the strategic road network, we offer exposure to civil engineering projects that are connecting communities, sustaining business and support the economy. We are looking individuals who will relish an exciting challenge to work in a growing business striving for commercial excellence. We are changing the way we work which especially enables you to be involved in being part of shaping that change to delivering commercial services in the future. Interested? Please apply now!
What you’ll be leading on
* Providing commercial support on specific projects across a range of activities, aiding decision making on commercial efficiencies, acting as a source of authoritative advice on contract administration, cost capture, analysis, performance, related intelligence and opportunities for performance improvement.
* Leading and developing regional team to deliver to challenging targets and a consistent and high quality approach to commercial and procurement strategy, investment decisions, scheme budget management, commercial management, contract administration, commercial dispute management and commercial performance management.
* Providing commercial & procurement advice, identifying needs, understanding priorities and potential threats to success of the scheme, supporting mitigation in order to support better delivery.
* Providing commercial information to Project managers to empower then to hold suppliers to account against tender promises and contractual obligations. Collecting robust, consistent and objective data, and identifying trends and variances from data sets in order to undertake analysis to advise stakeholders on action to take to support efficient and compliant delivery.
* Supporting the development of a thorough and ongoing knowledge resource of cost trends by sharing best practice with colleagues to share learnings to achieve a consistent approach for the organisation.
To be successful
* You will have demonstrable experience within a commercial function post qualification, actively working towards Professional qualification, RICS, ICE or equivalent
* You will be capable of managing commercial teams to deliver effective commercial management and assurance of schemes within the programme
* You will be focused on achieving best value outcomes with proven experience of optimising value for money outcomes
* You will have experience of determining cost drivers for cost comparison in an infrastructure environment and experience of using cost capture, analysis and interpretation into intelligence to drive continuous improvement in efficiencies across all project control stages
* You will have knowledge of NEC forms of contract with experience of tendering and procurement using NEC forms of contract
* You will have the capacity to absorb diverse information and use strong practical influencing skills, both internally and externally to optimise Highways England’s commercial interests within a scheme.
A bit about us
There’s never been a better time to join our Commercial and Procurement team.
We’re a growing, vibrant team helping to drive the most ambitious roads investment programme our country has ever seen. You’ll be involved in the design of our modern, progressive contracts and partnerships, negotiating best commercial terms, galvanizing innovation and influencing the development of projects for to enable positive commercial outcomes. Building in every opportunity to ensure that our customers and road workers get home safe and well every day while travelling or working on our road network.
Why you should join us
At Highways England we believe in a connected country. We are passionate about creating a culture where colleagues feel connected, included and enjoy greater wellbeing to achieve this. We’re proud that as an organisation we are continually striving to do better and actively encourage and support our colleagues to do the same with their careers.
So if you put safety first, take ownership of your work, show passion for what you do, work effectively in a team, and demonstrate integrity in how you do it – then you’ll be a great fit for our organisation.
And finally we reserve the right to close before the advertised closing date, so we recommend completing your application as soon as possible.