About Network Rail
Network Rail is at the heart of revitalising Britains railway. From Crossrail Europes largest civil engineering project to investment in elite stations and major programmes of electrification, we’re involved in some of the most ambitious and diverse ventures that this country has ever seen.
Route Business Scotland plans, operates and maintains the railway in Scotland day-to-day. Our business units routes work closely with our customers, and are accountable for improving customer service, safety, and performance, as well as providing a value for money railway. Brief Description
As Construction Manager you will act as our day-to-day site representative monitoring the contractors site activities ensuring that they are carried out in a safe and efficient manner with minimum impact on the environment and operational railway. You will ensure work is of a high standard and in accordance with the appropriate specifications and latest practices. About the role (External)
1. Ensure site activities align with the Guide to Railway Investment Projects (GRIP), appropriate rules, regulations, Railway Group and Network Rails company standards and all applicable procedures and legislation.
2. Review the contractors method statements and site-specific risk assessments, in conjunction with the Protection Engineer.
3. Liaise with appropriate Network Rail personnel to monitor whether arrangements for access, possession, storage, worksites etc. have been made to facilitate the efficient completion of work.
4. Monitor by a programme of regular pre-arranged inspections the quality of the contractors work. Instruct contractors in accordance with powers delegated. Ensure that non-conformance reports raised are closed out in an auditable manner where remedial actions are required. You will direct any changes as appropriate.
5. Inspect completed works and survey for the readiness of portions of the work for inspection and for the recording of the outcome and the control of any remedial works required.
6. Examine, by close liaison with the contractor, whether first off examples of elements of the works are jointly inspected at an early opportunity. Agree the detailed workmanship standards for consistent application to the whole of the works.
7. Monitor the contractors management of site works by regular site meetings at which details of the locations of, nature of, and number of staff to be employed upon each element of the work shall be established for the period until the next meeting.
8. Monitor progress of the works by regular site visits and inspections, comparing work in progress with contract documentation, and information given at site meetings and with the overall contract programme.
9. Maintain a regular and frequent site presence at all worksites and to continually monitor, and correct where necessary, the standard and methods of work, being always vigilant for inadequacies. Maintain site diary as appropriate.
10. Urge an awareness of the importance of HSQE and good workmanship by regular communication with all contractors site staff
11. Check and assess the competence of contractors staff prior to and during all phases of work.
12. Check whether the contractor follows Network Rail policy in accident/incident reporting and investigation and assist with conducting investigations.
13. Locally agree site records and freight haulage claims with the contractor for payment purposes.
14. Provides functional support to Development Managers and Project Managers as directed.
Job Skills, Experience and Qualifications
Appropriate successful construction experience in railway industry
Driver for behavioural change
Good interpersonal skills
Ability to lead a principal contractor and their subcontractors
CSCS/CITB scheme/Nebosh certificate
Safety management awareness/training
Six Sigma Yellow Belt. How To Apply- External
What can we offer you.?
At Network Rail, you have the chance to develop a long, rewarding career. There are many different career paths – and many opportunities to fulfil your potential. After all, we believe that investing in our people via training and development is one of the most effective ways of improving the safety, reliability and efficiency of the railways. You can expect competitive pay, a bonus scheme and a choice of contributory pension schemes. We also offer a generous annual leave package, plus up to 75% discount on season rail tickets.
We adhere to a structured pay framework, any salary offered will be within the following pay range:
Band/Grade: Band 4C
At Network Rail we support applications from a diverse range of candidates regardless of age, disability, marital status (including civil partnerships), pregnancy or maternity, race, religion or belief, sexual orientation, transgender status, sex (or gender), employment status, membership or non-membership of trade union, social class or any other irrelevant factor. We are committed to interviewing all applicants who declare a disability and meet the essential criteria advertised. We continue to strive to build a workforce as diverse as the communities we serve. We value the commitments you may have outside of work and will consider flexible working applications. If we can make it work we will.
We are required to follow UK Government standards when carrying out pre-employment checks for you; this includes a basic criminal record check. In addition to this, in accordance with the UK Government you are also required to verify your identity, your right to work in the UK and your previous three years employment history.
How to apply: Please click apply now to apply
Please clearly show in your application how your skills and experience match the requirements of this role.
Keeping people safe on the railway is at the heart of everything we do. Safe behaviour is therefore a requirement of working for Network Rail. You should demonstrate your personal dedication to safety on your application.
Closing date: 22 January 2019
Please note late applications will not be accepted.
We retain the right to close the advert before the listed closing date based on application volumes. Currency GBP Amount of Travel Work At Home