Jersey, Channel Isles
Post: Electrical Engineer (Water Industry)
Department: Water Supply
Reporting to: Chief Engineer and Water Supply Manager
Jersey Water’s people strategy is focused around providing a great place to work. We achieve this by ensuring we have high calibre, happy and engaged employees who work in a safe environment and are supported to experience new challenges and fulfil their potential.
Our people are crucial to the success of Jersey Water and, as such, we invest heavily in activities that support employee engagement and wellbeing. Our generous benefits package is focused on good mental and physical health and our people’s feedback is the starting point in creating our People Strategy. Team participation and feedback flows through each of Jersey Water’s initiatives, with many people getting involved in projects outside of their own departments. Cross-team collaboration is at the heart of what we do.
The role of the Electrical Engineer is to:
– provide electrical assurance through specialist knowledge of relevant statutory requirements and standards for electrical installations.
– assist the Operations Manager and act as his deputy in managing and controlling the safe and efficient operation of water resources, treatment works and other associated water supply plant and equipment.
– ensure that Jersey Water continues to provide the island of Jersey with the highest quality potable water achievable as set out in the Company Mission and Strategic Objectives.
– ensure that Jersey Water complies with the Water (Jersey) Law 1972 and develop ongoing continuous improvements to processes and procedures to ensure continued compliance against external benchmarks.
– lead the delivery of capital projects associated with the Water Supply Department and other associated inter department capital works.
– Honours degree in a relevant engineering discipline.
– Chartered Engineer or working towards gaining chartered status with a professional engineering institution such as IET.
– Strong organisational skills and the ability to programme and prioritise workloads across teams and departments.
– A team player who can work with and contribute to the success of the Company in meeting its objectives.
– An ability to work under pressure to deliver a critical service.
– Relevant knowledge and experience of water treatment works management.
– Knowledge and understanding of factors affecting water quality and relevant regulatory quality requirements.
– Effective leadership qualities including the ability to develop the team and individuals to reach their full potential and deliver business objectives.
– To assist the Operations Manager to manage and control the operation and maintenance of water resource works, treatment works, pumping plant, desalination plant, and other associated water supply plant and equipment.
– To manage the electrical maintenance sections of the Water Supply Department.
– To work alongside the Chief Engineer & Water Supply Manager, Asset Manager, and Operations Manager in preparing annual budgets, controlling costs and identifying and implementing efficiency savings in treatment works operations.
– To promote and develop inter-department working across the management group and wider business to deliver continuous improvement.
– To play an active part in the development and delivery of the Company’s strategy for water supply by participating on various Company Committees aimed at delivering wider Company initiatives and projects.
– To coach, train, and monitor the development of team members within the department to ensure industry best practice and continuous improvement are delivered in line with the Company’s vision and values.
– To liaise with the Water Quality Department on issues of raw and treated water quality.
– To assist the Operations Manager in planning and organising the day-to-day operations of raw water resources to meet the expected demand.
– To act as deputy for the Operations Manager in his absence.
– To liaise and report to the Asset Manager plant performance issues and maintain the asset register and records where appropriate.
– To provide reports and business cases where necessary to support cross-department work programmes and investment.
– To work alongside the Chief Engineer & Water Supply Manager and Asset Manager with regards to the prioritisation and replacement of operational assets and the installation and commissioning of new Capital Works.
– To liaise with and co-ordinate works with the Facilities Manager across all Company land and property assets.
– Carry out the detailed design and specification of electrical plant and instrumentation, and prepare contract documents and forms of tender for engineering works.
– To investigate and assist the management of emergency response to events in line with Company procedures.
– To maintain adequate stocks of materials and spares for all operational installations.
– To manage and control contractors and plant hire companies working for the Company and authorise payment of invoices.
– To liaise with external organisations as required.
– To participate on emergency standby rota and be available for emergency and planned works outside normal working hours.
– To ensure the department works in accordance with the Health & Safety (Jersey) Law, the Company’s Safety Management System and Code of Practice for Waterworks Hygiene.
– Actively participate in wider business initiatives and cross departmental projects aimed at supporting strategic business objectives including employee consultation groups, charity and social programmes.
– To carry out other duties commensurate with the role
About Jersey Water
Jersey Water is the sole supplier of treated mains water to Jersey, supplying approximately 40,000 homes and businesses. The Company’s two water treatment works supply over 7 billion litres of water to customers through its 580km network of water mains each year. The Company, which is one of the largest landowners in Jersey, employs 92 people.
The Company’s raw water network includes one standby desalination plant, five boreholes and numerous stream abstraction points all feeding six impounding reservoirs.
The Company has the Silver standard accreditation for Investors in People
For more information about our company please visit our website,
TO APPLY PLEASE CLICK THE APPLY NOW BUTTON AND YOU WILL BE REDIRECTED TO BEGIN THE APPLICATION PROCESS