Your new role
Highways England is building its Strategic Asset Planning capability. You will play a key role within a new team which will design and introduce processes and systems to deliver consistent strategic asset planning for the Strategic Road Network, consolidating the learning from developing our Strategic Business Plan for 2020-25.
Ideally you will be a strategic asset planner looking to apply your skills in a new dynamic; willing to think creatively and bring value to a sector that has much opportunity to offer. You will ideally come from an infrastructure organisation, and have experience of utility regulation.
This role is intended to be based in Bristol, although other Highways England office locations could be considered for the right candidate (Exeter, Guildford, Birmingham, Leeds, Manchester).
What you’ll be leading on
* Demonstrate proven experience in strategic asset management such as investment planning and prioritisation, valuation, programme optimisation and whole life cost approach
* Act as a source of specialist subject matter expertise; to provide appropriate advice and guidance to Highways England, its contractors and suppliers and to support colleagues in resolving strategic and technical issues, and in their personal development
* Develop business or value management cases for new projects, to ensure that such projects are consistent with Highways England strategic goals, quantifying resource requirements and identifying project interdependencies within and beyond the team
* Engage with stakeholders across Highways England and externally to understand their business needs, to promote and gain commitment to Strategy and Planning’s objectives and solutions, to identify key areas for improvement and to share best practices
* Plan and manage project activities and resources, identifying risks and appropriate mitigation and reporting progress, to ensure delivery of project objectives to time and cost
* Drive development activities with both internal experts and consultancy partners to deliver progress at pace, enabling us to create and use new tools for the next Strategic Business Plan submission in 2024
To be successful
* Proven experience of providing information and specialist advice in strategic asset management planning, including developing processes and solutions, and use of decision making and risk based frameworks.
* A good understanding of regulated infrastructure organisations, frameworks and strategic business planning. Ideally you will have developed strategic asset investment plans within such an organisation and experienced regulatory cycles.
* Strong networking and communication skills, including experience of working with stakeholders to achieve desired outcomes, and the ability to communicate effectively and concisely at all levels. You will be naturally open and keen to engage others.
* Experience of using programme or project management tools to deliver cross business programmes.
* An eye for detail and confidence in designing processes and handling data whilst being able to see the bigger picture and intended outcomes.
* Qualification in asset management, engineering or equivalent subject and membership of a relevant professional institution would be desirable.
A bit about us
Strategy and Planning plays a crucial role at the heart of Highways England, providing strategic direction to the organisation and working closely with all the other directorates to enable delivery of the company’s ambitious agenda. We lead on key corporate initiatives including the long-term ambition for our Strategic Road Network (SRN), the production and review of the 5-year Strategic Business and Delivery Plans and developing our national plans covering route strategies, investment and economic growth.
So if you want to get involved with our relationships with our statutory stakeholders, sponsoring the road investment strategy, providing high quality analyses to the rest of the organisation and leading on our key corporate initiatives, then we’re the right place for you.
Want to know more?
Take a look at the role profile to find out more.
Why you should join us
At Highways England, safety is our number one priority. It is one of our core values, as well as a behaviour we expect from our people.
Our vision is that everyone who uses our roads, as well as those who work for us, get home, safe and well. Our Home Safe and Well approach sets out our commitments and how our employees can contribute.
Working for us, you’ll recognise the behaviours required to achieve our vision, and help create a fair and just culture for us all. You should be able to fully understand the hazards and risks that are involved in your work, and follow our procedures safely.
We want you to feel able to raise health, safety and wellbeing concerns with your colleagues, and to challenge unsafe conditions or behaviours wherever you see them. We’re always seeking to improve our performance, and want you to be at the heart of that – helping us all get home safe and well.
And finally we reserve the right to close before the advertised closing date, so we recommend completing your application as soon as possible.